Saturday, April 7, 2012

G is for Greasy Food

You know, there once was a time when I simply loved greasy food. And, once in a while, I still do. But, I have found that as I get older, I don't enjoy these things like I used to. That's not a bad thing, mind you. But, I didn't stop eating it because it was bad - just because I stopped finding pleasure in it.


Fried Seafood Platter
I don't eat some fried foods like I used to. I do still like my seafood fried, but I don't eat fried chicken like I used to. And, if it's particularly greasy, I am prone to avoid it. I think it's a combination of the flavor too much grease imparts and the fact that the grease gets everywhere! 


I grew up where Wise potato chips began as a regional chip and my favorites were the ones that stayed in the fat longer than the rest. You know which ones - they were glossy and still looked wet. I felt the same way about fries - extra greasy, please, with lots of crunch. While I no longer care much for greasy chips, I do still pick out the greasiest fries to eat first. However, I can't eat many because I just don't digest potatoes as well as I used to.


Pizza still in the pan of grease
I used to love Pizza Hut pizza. I couldn't figure out what it was about it that I liked so much. Then, I didn't have it for several years and went back once looking forward to enjoying it again. I was actually grossed out by how greasy it was - I realized that they basically deep-fry their pizza by putting the dough in a deep dish full of oil and then baking it. The last time I had some, it seemed less greasy, so maybe they've cut back on that. But, I was surprised that I no longer liked it like I used to. My tastes had changed.


Bacon in a buffet pan
Bacon is greasy, but I love it - but don't give me bacon that has been sitting in its own grease, please. Yes, I love bacon, but when the fat melts and then you place the cooked slice on a paper towel to absorb the excess, it's not really so bad. However, in a buffet setting, they make mass quantities of bacon and pile them in the pan awaiting customers. They're really great when you get the top pieces, but as you get closer to the bottom, all the grease that has dripped off the upper layers now coats the bacon on the bottom. Thanks, but I'll avoid that.


This isn't really all that informative, but I know most will understand what I'm talking about. We do need fat in our diets because fat soluble vitamins require it. But, I do think that our bodies sometimes tell us what's good and what isn't, so if we're listening, we might just learn what to cut back on without actually eliminating it. Yet, despite all this, a hamburger just isn't worth eating if it's not at least a little greasy. 

12 comments:

  1. I agree-- in my 20's I enjoyed greasier foods. Today--I'm all about fresh--healthy--and lean foods. Great post--I enjoyed it!!

    Cheers, Jenn
    http://www.wine-n-chat.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't eat much of the fried stuff either, but then I never really did like it (unless it was Tempura battered) grinZ.

    Things change, that's one that seems to be a common change amongst bodies that have decided they have had enough of it already. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excuse me while I run off to make a bacon buttie (that's an old Lancashire UK word for sandwich!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ugh. Even the pictures got to me! Totally agree with you here!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love greasy food from time to time :) Cheeseburgers are one of my favs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Luckily for me my partner can't eat it so often as he gets heartburn, so I make it less often. Otherwise I would eat far too much as I'm still all for it. Hopefully this urge will leave me too sometime, you have given me hope.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I will bite someone's arm off for bacon...greasy or not! Otherwise, I'm not a big fried food person either. The cheeseburgers I make now are way low in fat and since making them myself, I do have difficulty eating the fried or grilled hamburgers of restaurant and fast food fame. I use ground sirloin and grill them Hardly any fat and tons of flavor!

    Now I'm hungry...off to grill something! ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true...I don't feel good about eating greasy food anymore. I only have it once in a while and when I do, I can enjoy it.

      I will never give up bacon! (Although, turkey bacon satisfies me too)!

      Delete
  8. yeah i guess i don't eat that much grease--for one thing--i never fry anything---my mom used to fry almost everything it seemed! enjoyed your post!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love pan pizza from pizza hut, but I usually have one and a half pieces because it is SUPER greasy. I tried to eat KFC chicken after about 2 years of not eating it, oh my gosh..it is SO greasy. I literally threw my pieces away! So, I know just what you mean. :)

    Successfully Underachieving

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have noticed as I get older that greasy food and I just don't agree. I don't think you are alone on that one. The less grease the better for me these days. Sure beats diarrhea...LOL
    Great letter G post!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Pizza Hut pizza is the only kind I can NOT eat because it's grease always disagrees with me. EVERY time. I'm the person looking for the chips and fries that are pale and not greasy. Nice to meet you from the A-Z challenge. Love food! :)

    ReplyDelete