Thursday, July 4, 2013

Depression "Meatloaf"

I'm about to have a platter that includes Depression Meatloaf (no meat). I'm not sure if I'll like it, but I know it won't hurt me.

Just tasted it and you can definitely taste the peanuts. This is NOT a recipe for those who have peanut allergies. But, it's actually not half bad. The peanuts dominate, but the texture is reasonable and meaty. The cottage cheese isn't at all obvious, nor is the rice, except the side serving you see on the plate. During the Depression, peanuts would have been a cheap substitute, but today, they're not so cheap. In fact, they're far more expensive than any meat I buy these days, so this wouldn't be a practical recipe today.

If you're looking for a vegetarian option for meatloaf, this might be worth considering, though. If you're vegan, then you'd have to substitute tofu or soy options for the cottage cheese and egg, but ovo-lacto vegetarians would be able to easily use this recipe. The URL for the recipe is: greatdepressionrecipes.blogspot.com/2009/03/meatless-meat-loaf.html.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment